An animal fat or vegetable oil inferno is pretty much the worst-case scenario in any kitchen environment. But do you know how to snuff out a fire if oil or fat goes up in flames? First, DON’T use water.
Steps to put out a grease fire:
- Turn off source of heat (burner / element).
- Do NOT pour water on it.
- Another thing NOT to do: pick up the pan and try to carry it out of the house!
- Attempt to remove all oxygen from the flame. You can cover with another pot, or baking pan.
- If you can’t cover it, dump baking soda (lots of it) on it.
- Salt works better on electric stoves.
- Smother with lid, fire blanket, or wet cloth.
Here are 3 videos to help you understand better the danger:
Explosive Oil Fire at 2500fps
Gav and Dan show you one of the kitchen’s biggest no-nos. Don’t put out an oil fire with water!
The CALL7 Investigators observed a controlled test that shows how quickly grease fires can flare up and spread.
Putting out kitchen grease fires
In no time at all, a cooking fire can turn your kitchen into an inferno. What do you do if it happens to you?
Video: 7 NEWS – The Denver Channel